6.8.13

Movie Music

This is my friend Hugh.

  
Hugh's a musician, photographer, illustrator, artist and I might add, quite the dapper dresser.  On the occasion of his birthday he would disappear on the hour only to return moments later in an even cooler outfit.

Hugh composed the music for a short film I've been working on and just for fun I thought I'd ask him a few probing questions.


Do you really buy all of your clothes second hand?
I'd say a good 95% at least, my tastes just happen to be far far more expensive than my budget, and besides who has time to wade through racks and racks of the same shirt anyway.

 Best op shop buy ever?
Oh the very best buy is a hard one, I've bought electric guitars, microphones and keyboards, Italian shoes, silver rings, leather jackets and more button down shirts than I could ever hope to remember.  I do have a pair of vintage tortoiseshell Bolle Sunglasses that were handmade in France and I would not have parted with them for anything.

Can you sew?  What did you make?
Growing up punk I did do the odd bit of sewing.  A patch here, a zipper there, not to mention that all my clothes some how or other would fall apart.  I think my favourite piece was a pair of black jeans that I made skin tight, added buckles to the cuffs, ran industrial zippers all the way up the back of the legs, Misfits patches on the pockets.  Hah, I loved those things, had to patch the crotch more than once and the fly tore out so I sewed it shut and had to pull them on like leggings.  Embarrassing but true.
 
Did you really tell Bob Geldof and Malcolm Mclaren to go #@!* themselves?  How, why, where were you?
Hah, yeah that really happened in what seems to be a past life now.  I was touring in New Zealand in a band that has long since ceased to exist.  It was seven years ago in a pub and I was on stage, someone kept yelling 'Play some Sex Pistols,' so I told them I don't play covers for anyone in the politest way my younger self could manage at the time.  I think they were impressed because they bought all my merch.

You told me a while back that you wanted to form a band, how's that going?  What style of music do you want to play?
Terribly, hah.  I've been trying to start a Darkwave band, like early Alternative Newwave/Postpunk mixed with some Electro (early and current) and a touch of Goth but more of an emphasis on the Newwave than most people are trying at the moment.  Confusing and pretentious, yes, but think Depeche Mode, New Order, Cure, Duran Duran mixed with Knife and Hot Chip and we're talking about the same thing. Swampy reverb guitars and bass with harder electronic drums and 70's synth to make a live band you might dance in a club to. I've written an album and have a set all prepared... just need to stop losing members.  It certainly keeps me on my toes though.  

Follicles of Fancy...Is that your leg? How long did it take?
Yes, that's me in the flesh, photographer and model in a single frame.  The time it takes to make art is rather relative; the camera took in exactly one eighth of a seconds worth of light to capture the image.  The idea would have sparked in about the same, but if you add it up the photo took an hour to set up, developing another two, printing took two days, framing another two, plus the short life time of experience it took to lead up to this point in my existence. All in all, about two eighths of a second.  

When was your last hair cut?
Oh, that'd be the last time it fell out, about four or so years ago.  A dear friend and a pair of freshly oiled clippers on the autumn drenched wooden porch of my mothers house.  I dare say it was a harder time for those around me than it was for me. For me it was a time where life made sense in a way, being right about there being something wrong with you, still has some sweetness intertwined in its tragedy.

Thanks Hugh, you're the best!
If you'd like to join Hugh's band or purchase some follicles you can contact him right here.

1 comment: